Tuesday, March 10, 2015

6 MAR 2015

[visit #8]

Since the last visit, I experienced just how much work goes on outside of the classroom in preparation for what happens inside the classroom. In keeping with my goal of talking less and having the children do more, I decided to review all of the slideshows I had access to (we asked the students to always share what they were working on with me).

Reviewing requires a lot of time! Especially when I factored in making comments to highlight certain aspects of the presentation that seemed to be either a technological, artistic, or linguistic error OR a good use of the medium, subject, etc.

From all of the reviews and comments, I could tell that the students simply needed time to work on their projects. This visit consisted of me pointing out a couple of examples that stood out to me as being developed in multiple ways and having the kids break down the search function into better details.

For the search function, we used the Stone Fox book because it was still giving the student issues. AS a class we brainstormed ideas of main characters like "grandfather," "dogsled," "Samoyed," and "Indian" to help the class understand through experience how to search for details instead of a book cover. As I was walked around the class after that brief demonstration with the kids, many of the students were more capable of finding images to represent the characters, setting, etc. for their book reports. Successful students included the boy who chose "Stone Fox" for his book report.

Having a day to work a lot without presenting anything new was necessary for the kids. If we want them to be done during the next two visits, they have some major work to do!




Jax refined his skills in picking out details while
also improving internet search abilities.


No comments:

Post a Comment