Wednesday, January 14, 2015

9 JAN 2015

[visit #1] 

This is going to be a great experience, I can tell right off the bat. I cannot think of a better way to get experience than by actually getting into a school to work with students and with a great teacher!

Mrs. Connie Stone recently acquired a set of Google Chromebooks for her class to use. We decided that it would be to the students's advantage to integrate that technology with art, rather than using other, more traditional art forms.

My first impressions are that the students have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. It's pretty incredible to see just how quickly they accept you and learn to trust you. It was pretty humbling too to see that. Teachers have such a big responsibility to live up to that trust!

My first lesson was on geometric art since I had decided to use a program all of them had at their fingertips on their Chromebooks: Google Drawing. I figured that being able to break things down into shapes would be a good way to tie in technology, math, and art all into one. I showed them a slideshow with the following images, some from contemporary artists and others from artists like Piet Mondrian and Frank Stella (big players in an art historical context).


We talked about what they saw and what they observed about the use of shapes. I showed them how to open a new Google Drawing and how to make some shapes. I wanted them to get used to the feel of making shapes with the tools they had, so I was specific in what to make. They got up and went to their seats in what I would probably describe as a little chaotic and almost immediately, several voices were clamoring for Mrs. Stone's or my attention. It was not a smooth transition.

Most of the remaining time was used to get all of the students on track with the five shapes they were to explore. Looking back on this day now, I wonder if I should have cut back on instruction somehow. I'm not quite sure how I could have done that though since the students had so many questions, many of which were similar.

Overall, I think the students enjoyed the time to explore the medium of technological drawing. However, I think my expectations of their technological skills were too high for where they are at. Also, the time went by far more quickly than I was anticipating. Since Fridays are short days, we had about 40 minutes at the end of the day to work. I'm impressed by how adaptable teachers are, and I hope to improve my own adaptability to short, yet meaningful lessons.

Next week, we will continue learning about and using the new skills they have acquired.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that they have Chromebooks and that you are going to integrate art with technological learning. I'm excited to see how things go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that they have Chromebooks and that you are going to integrate art with technological learning. I'm excited to see how things go!

    ReplyDelete